Sunday, September 22, 2019

Indonesian quake displaces more than 43,000 people

Dec 10. 2016
Facebook Twitter

By Deutsche Presse-Agentur
Jakarta

1,934 Viewed

The number of people displaced by an earthquake that devastated parts of Indonesia's Aceh province has jumped to more than 43,000, an official said Saturday.

More than 11,600 houses were damaged as a result of Wednesday’s quake, which also killed at least 101 people and injured more than800, national disaster management agency spokesman Sutopo Nugroho said.

Authorities had earlier put the number of displaced people in the three worst-hit districts at 22,000.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo visited the quake-torn area onFriday and promised to rebuild homes and places of worships.

The quake struck just before dawn, with the epicentre 18 kilometres north-east of Pidie Jaya at a depth of 10 kilometres.

Indonesia sits on the Pacific Ring of Fire, an area noted for frequent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

A magnitude-9.1 earthquake off Sumatra island on December 26, 2004,spawned the Indian Ocean tsunami that killed 230,000 people in 11countries, including about 180,000 in Aceh alone.

Tags:
Facebook Twitter
More in Asia News Network
Editor’s Picks
Top News