Thursday, August 22, 2019

Prayut again refuses to speak to media 

May 30. 2017
Facebook Twitter

By Wasamon Audjarint
The Nation

2,818 Viewed

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha refused to speak at a press conference after the Cabinet meeting at Government House on Tuesday.

“[The Government] Spokesperson will explain things,” he said. “I said I won’t give any interview.”

Prayut, who usually speaks for around 90 minutes at post-Cabinet media briefings, then left the Command Building. 

This occurred a day after Prayut spoke for an hour at the opening ceremony of a seminar. 

“I have been attacked for so long. Is that fair to me?” he said at the ceremony. “I will stay tight-lipped for some two to three weeks. Please don’t miss me.”

Well known for his lengthy talking style, Prayut has occasionally attempted to speak less, particularly with the press. 

In February last year, the Government Spokesperson team made all reporters submit four questions to Prayut. The rule was formulated a week after Prayut got angry following reporters’ questions on the then-controversial charter drafting process.

On another occasion, Prayut assigned his deputies to do the bulk of the talking to the media, with the premier speaking only briefly at the beginning of press briefings. Deputies Wissanu Krea-ngam and General Prawit Wongsuwan were among those assigned the task.

However, such moves tended to last only a couples of weeks at the most, usually ending with Prayut returning to his one-man-show style.

Tags:
Facebook Twitter
More in News
Editor’s Picks
Top News