Thursday, December 05, 2019

33 missing miners confirmed dead after Chinese coal mine blast

Nov 02. 2016
Facebook Twitter

By Deutsche Presse Agentur

867 Viewed

Beijing - All 33 coal miners trapped after a gas explosion earlier this week have now been found dead, the official Xinhua news agency said Wednesday. The miners were working at the privately-owned Jinshangou mine near the south-western city of Chongqing, in the town of Laisu, when the blast occurred.

Previously, Xinhua had reported that 15 miners were dead, while 18were unaccounted for. Two had managed to escape the mine, the agency said on Monday.

Rescue work has now concluded and the dead bodies have been moved away from the site, Xinhua said Wednesday. More than 200 rescue workers were involved in the search.

China's mines are known for being among the world's most dangerous. Thousands die every year in mining accidents, a much higher rate than seen in other countries with similar mining industries.

 

Tags:
Facebook Twitter
More in News
Editor’s Picks
wmg-logo
Top News
wmg-logo