Friday, February 21, 2020

Malaysian woman rescued from ‘abusive’ Taiwanese employer

Oct 28. 2017
Facebook Twitter

By The Nation

Thai police have rescued a Malaysian woman who was allegedly being beaten by her Taiwanese employer after she failed to deceive her Malaysian friends and relatives to transfer money to the gang.

Acting on the request of the Malaysian embassy in Bangkok, acting Tourist Police chief Pol Maj-General Surachet Hakpal led tourist and immigration police and Samut Prakan police to rescue Khu Wen Ching, 19, from a room on the 10th floor of a condominium on Bang Na-Trat Road KM5 at 7pm on Friday.

Police arrested a Taiwanese man, Zhao Fei Long, 29, in the room and also found seven Malaysians.

Police found bruises on several parts of Khu’s body.

Khu said she had applied for the job of customer service in Thailand and was promised 5,500 Malaysian ringgit (Bt39,000) for three months of work.

She said she entered Thailand on August 28 and found that the job did not involve customer service. She was told to deceive others to transfer money to her, which would be taken by her employer.

She said she was beaten up by the Taiwanese man after she failed to get others to transfer money. She said she was hit with an iron pipe on her hip and thigh as well as her arms. The Taiwanese man also allegedly stabbed the backs of her hands with a knife and sometimes intimidated her by pointing a knife to her throat.

Khu claimed she was beaten again on October 22 and again on Thursday so she asked another Malaysian in the room to send a message to her relatives in Malaysia. The relatives in turn sought help from the Malaysian embassy.

The Taiwanese man was found to have entered Thailand in early August. He reportedly admitted to have beaten Khu. He said he was in charge of controlling the seven Malaysian men in the room to deceive friends and relatives in Malaysia by pleading that were in need of urgent financial help. Another team in Malaysia would take charge of guiding the victims to transfer money at ATMs.

The Taiwanese man was charged with assaulting another person. The seven Malaysians were handed over to the Immigration Bureau for further action.

Facebook Twitter
More in News
Editor’s Picks
Top News