Faster draining of floodwaters will require government agencies to cooperate, Chayapol Thitisak, director general of the department, told a press conference.
The death toll stands at 10 so far, he said, and 20 families had to be evacuated from their flooded homes.
He said 23 provinces were flooded under the influence of a depression and monsoon winds, with the Chao Phraya river overflowing from October 10 to 28.
The department’s latest survey found 125,347 families in 2,785 villages and 42 communities from 473 tambon in 78 districts of the 17 provinces were still affected by flooding.
The director general said the affected provinces were grouped by river basins as follows:
- Yom River basin: Sukhothai
- Nan River basin: Phichit
- Chao Phraya river basin: Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Sing Buri, Lop Buri, Ayutthaya, Ang Thong and Pathum Thani
- Tha Chin River basin: Chainat and Suphan Buri
- Chi River basin: Nong Bua Lamphu, Khon Kaen, Mahasarakham, Kalasin and Roi Et
- Mool River basin: Ubon Ratchathani