Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Prayut distances himself from ‘respect’ order

Aug 03. 2018
file photo
file photo
Facebook Twitter

By The Nation

5,474 Viewed

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha defended the controversial guidelines for taking his photo by saying the order was made three years ago and he was baffled about why it had only surfaced now.

While saying that he did not want any misunderstanding or problems with the media, Prayut said he believed the guideline had been written with the good intention for both the prime minister’s safety and media standards.

The guideline asked photographers to be at least five metres away from the junta leader and show gestures of respect to him. It was imposed on the media on Friday when Prayut opened the Thailand Industry Expo at Impact Exhibition and Convention Centre in Muang Thong Thani.

Prayut said the authorities had not been enforcing the guidelines strictly in the past three years. But he said he had already told Special Branch to review and revoke some of the rules, including the gestures of respect.

“Respect just depends on each individual,” he said.

Tags:
Facebook Twitter
More in News
Editor’s Picks
Top News