By Kriangkrai Rattana
Police and firefighters rushed to the scene of the explosion and fire in Tambon Pa Lan and found the house/factory ablaze.
They found the body of Kampol Khanchai, 54, while Pradit Sodsong, 50, was rushed to Doi Saket Hospital but was pronounced dead.
An initial police investigation found that Kampol and Pradit were making funeral fireworks to sell within the district.
They were mixing potassium chlorate and gunpowder to put into firework packages when the explosion occurred. The blast brought down the roof of the factory before the house was engulfed in flames.
Khomsan said the small, unlicensed factory produced fireworks for funerals, and were not related to the firework making for the upcoming Loy Kratong Festival.
He said he would have officials check on all firework-making premises in Doi Saket and other districts to ensure they all had proper licences and adhere to safety measures.