By The Nation
One Piece is a world famous Japanese manga series which has set the Guinness World Record for "the most copies published for the same comic book series by a single author".
This activity is held on the occasion of the 20th anniversary celebration of its animation series, aimed to encourage the new generation to care for their health with exercise, as well as promoting Thai people to reduce the use of plastic containers. Currently, Thailand was ranked sixth among countries littering the ocean with the most plastic waste.
The concept of "Run Together, Friendship Forever" was inspired by the main core of One Piece which represents the importance of friendship in various aspects in order to overcome problems and obstacles together and not giving up.
The main activity of this event is Virtual Run which enables runners to accumulate distance in order to achieve the target of 40 kilometres, while every 1 kilometre run equals to Bt1 for donation.
The activity also features the mission for every runners to achieve a goal of 200,000 kilometres together which equal to a donation of Bt200,000. (The distance calculation will be limited at a maximum of Bt40 per person and not exceeding 5,000 people)
The income will be given to the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources to organise CSR activities for collecting ocean waste. In addition, running shirts for activity were made from recycled plastic bottles in 11 designs for One Piece fans to collect as a souvenir.
Running activity will be categorised as follows;
1. Virtual Run, a run to accumulate distance. Runners who complete a distance of 40 kilometres will be rewarded a commemorative medal with an e-certificate from Japan.
2. Celebration Run, a run on the actual day. Runners who reach the finish line within the specified time will be rewarded a commemorative medal. The run consists of two distances: 5 kilometres and 11.5 kilometres.
The competition will be categorised as follows
• Male and female category (only 11.5 kilometres): First, second and third- place will be rewarded a plate and a certificate.
• Team category (maximum 9 persons, 11.5 kilometres): Only the winner will be rewarded a plate and a certificate.
• One Piece Fancy category (two phases): The winner will be rewarded a special prize from One Piece and sponsors worth Bt7,000, a plate, and a certificate. The second-place winner will receive a special prize from One Piece and sponsors worth Bt3,000, a plate, and a certificate. Third-place winner will receive a special prize from One Piece and sponsors worth Bt1,500, a plate, and a certificate.
The event will start on March 29 from 4am to 10am at Makkasan Park (Makkasan on Airport Rail Link) Runners will receive shirts and running number in Expo Day from March 14 to 15 between 10am to 9pm at a booth located inside the building before entering the platform.
Application fees start at Bt749 for children and Bt849 for adults. Early registration for adults is scheduled from December 1 to 15, while the official registration period is December 16 to February 20 next year. Registrants will receive a One Piece Giant Pin (5.7 centimetres in size).
Applications are accepted via website www.runderfulthailand.com, or contact line mobile application @RunderfulTH by clicking http://bit.ly/2ItdcKQ, Facebook and Instagram:RunderfulTH for more information.