Friday, November 15, 2019

Deal offered to mafia who mend their ways

Mar 11. 2016
Facebook Twitter

By THE NATION

5,849 Viewed

But Prawit says influential figures will be prosecuted if strong evidence exists.
DEPUTY PRIME Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan has offered to conditionally let off mafia-style figures with “dark influence” in cases where evidence is weak, but warned that they will have to mend their ways. 
Hundreds of police and military officers are on the lists of “dark”, influential figures who are being |targeted in the government’s ongoing crackdown. 
“If there is solid evidence for prosecution, they will face legal action,” Prawit, who is also the defence minister, said yesterday. 
He said if the evidence was not good enough, the suspects would be asked to sign an undertaking to desist from illegal activities. 
The government has launched a serious crackdown on figures engaging in 16 types of activities, including illegal money lending; drug trafficking; bid collusion; collection of protection money from taxi motorcyclists; prostitution; trading in |illegal arms; running illegal entertainment and service business establishments. 
National police Commissioner General Chakthip Chaijinda yesterday said he had received a report that more than 200 policemen were associated with dark-influence activities. 
“Among them are those with the rank of general. I have already talked to them,” he said. 
Chakthip said if further probes show these officers are guilty of illegal activities, they will face disciplinary and criminal actions. 
Metropolitan Police Bureau acting chief Lt-General Sanit Mahathavorn said four accused policemen were reportedly affiliated with his agency.
“Two are reportedly involved in drugs while two others are related to taxi motorcyclists,” he said. “Three of them are still in active services”. 
Sanit said his agency would investigate further to determine if anyone else was involved. 
National police office deputy spokesman Pol Lt-General Songphon Wattanachai assured there would be no attempt to protect any policeman accused of being an underworld figure. 
“The list of such figures will be forwarded to deputy national police commissioner Pol General Srivara Ransibhramanakul for further action,” he said. 
Prawit said names of both police and military officers appeared on the lists of influential figures. 
“Army chief General Teerachai Nakwanich, in his capacity as the NCPO secretary-general, is in charge of compiling the list of military officers involved,” he said. 
Anti-Money Laundering Office secretary-general Seehanat Prayoonrat said if requested, his agency would probe the financial transactions and the financial routes of the alleged underworld figures. 
“Ill-gotten gains can be seized |so that their victims can get |compensation,” he said. 
Colonel Piyapong Klinphan, a spokesperson for the NCPO, said the crackdown on the mafia-style figures would run for about two more years and would cover all provinces. 
“We have gathered information from people’s complaints,” he said.
Chakthip denied speculation that the ongoing crackdown on mafia-style figures was related to the NCPO efforts to rein in anti-NCPO movement.
“No, there is no such link,” he said. 
So far, he reckoned, some local politicians were defined as mafia-style figures. 
“We will integrate efforts from administrative, military and police units in handling proceedings against such politicians,” he said.
In Suphan Buri province, local police raided the house of a pig-farm owner and uncovered dozens of guns yesterday. 
“We will determine if these guns have ever been used before in crimes,” the province’s police chief, Pol Maj General Passarawin Pongpipatphakin, said.

Tags:
Facebook Twitter
More in News
Editor’s Picks
Top News