Thursday, December 12, 2019

10 suspected exam cheaters arrested at police orientation for incoming cadets

Jan 31. 2017
Facebook Twitter

By The Nation

3,059 Viewed

TEN people suspected to have cheated in a police entrance exam in December were arrested yesterday morning as they attended cadet orientation at the Police Club on Vibhavadi Road in Bangkok.

The 10 men, accused of copying exam answers from others, were wanted on charges of racketeering, giving false information to police and violating the Article 14(2) of the Computer Act by putting false information into a computer, Metropolitan Police Bureau commissioner Pol Lt General Sanit Mahathavorn said.

Sanit confirmed that all those shown by evidence to have been involved in exam cheating would face prosecution. Police would deal with “successful” candidates first, he said, as the cadet class would start today. The suspects would be removed, leaving room for substitute candidates to take their spots, he added.

The bureau had announced 1,141 successful candidates – including 141 substitutes. So, when 22 candidates did not show up and 10 were arrested, the first 32 substitutes on the list were moved up to replace them.

Meanwhile, Pol Maj General Adul Narongsak, the deputy bureau chief in charge of the investigation, said the 10 men arrested were among the latest batch of 35 wanted suspects and police would summon the other 25 tomorrow. He said arrest warrants had so far been issued for 87 people and more arrest warrants might be issued soon. Adul said there were over 300 people allegedly involved in the case, and investigators would gradually deal with them |in groups.

Meanwhile, national police chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda said he had instructed officers to extend the probe into exam cheating. To date, cheating has been detected at the Metropolitan Police Bureau and the Provincial Police Region 1 and 7, but he wanted to see if there were any more reports of cheating at other police units or state agencies.

Police later yesterday allowed the 10 suspects to be released on bail after they put up a Bt100,000 bond. They were told to meet police on February 16.


Facebook Twitter
More in News
Editor’s Picks
Top News