By The Nation
EIT president Thanes Weerasiri told a press conference on Thursday that an initial investigation found the April 28 incident likely resulted from recklessness of the supervising engineer.
As the crane had malfunctioned, it needed to be operated manually, he said. But the person operating the crane did not know the capacity of the crane and made it lift items beyond its capacity. The crane pulled at the metal beams supporting the concrete, which resulted in the metal part falling on the road, killing three workers who were standing below, he said.
The EIT had sent the metal part samples for further testing, the result of which would be out in a week or two, he said.
Department of Labour Protection and Welfare deputy chief Suwitaya Chanthawong said the employer of the three deceased workers had already been summoned to meet officials as part of a probe to see if the employer had complied with the Occupational Safety, Health and Environment Act. Officials are awaiting more documents from the employer for the probe. The employer faces imprisonment of up to one year and/or up to Bt400,000 fine if found guilty of violating the Act, he added.