Sunday, August 01, 2021

in-focus

Police say they know identities of Central World arson suspects


Police are gathering evidence in support of arrest warrants for two suspected arsonists and six alleged accomplices in relation to the Central World Mall fire during the 2010 riots.

4,557

View

Following a meeting yesterday to discuss the progress of the Central World arson probe, Metropolitan Police chief Khamronwit Thoopkrajang said investigators had identified two suspected arsonists from photographs and video footage.
Khamronwit said police could not release the suspects’ names, but they were among those for whom the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) sought arrest warrants. He added that police had identified six suspected accomplices of the accused arsonists, and would summon them as well. If they refused, police would provide evidence to support the issuance of arrest warrants for them too. He said police had 20 other witnesses to interview.
Khamronwit urged the public to provide information that could help confirm the two suspected arsonists’ identity via the city police’s investigation centre’s telephone number – (02) 354 8226 – around the clock and affirmed there would be a reward for providers of key information. Asked if the reward was posted by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who had earlier offered a Bt10 million reward for key information, or from the Metropolitan Police budget, Khamronwit said that matter would be discussed later.
Khamronwit said the investigators also looked into the delay of fire-engine access to the arson scene and would take time to gather information to ensure justice for all sides.
 

Published : May 22, 2013

By : Patinya Iamtan The Nation