Wednesday, November 13, 2019

German tourist dies of jellyfish sting

Oct 07. 2015
Facebook Twitter

By The Nation

5,304 Viewed

A 20-year-old German woman died and her friend was slightly injured on Tuesday after poisonous box jellyfish stung them during a nightime swim at Lamai Beach in Surat Thani's Koh Samui, police said yesterday. The German tourist was pronounced dead at Ban

Surat Thani Fishery official Pornsak Sakthani has advised Samui district officials to survey all beaches on the island for box jellyfish and issue warnings to tourists.

Since 1998, Surat Thani province has reported 10 tourist deaths from box jellyfish stings and this case was the third known fatality in months. Two previous cases took place in the nearby Koh Pha-ngan; a Thai woman was stung and died this August and a five-year-old French boy was stung fatally last August.

 

Tags:
Facebook Twitter
More in News
Editor’s Picks
Top News