Monday, September 28, 2020

Decision on charging Rajabhakti students delayed again

Mar 09. 2016
Facebook Twitter

By JITTRAPORN SENWONG,
JUTHATHI

A PROSECUTOR yesterday postponed for the second time a decision on whether to file charges against students over their protest, led by Sirawith “Ja New” Seritiwat, late last year against alleged corruption at Rajabhakti Park, in Prachuap Khiri Khan.
Sirawith, meanwhile, has vowed to lodge a complaint with the Administrative Court against officials who intercepted him and his fellow students on their way to the park. 
He and some five other students went to the Military Court yesterday only to hear the prosecutor’s decision had been postponed to April 25 after Sirawith’s team of lawyers requested that two new witnesses be included in the evidence examination process. 
Sirawith and his fellow students were summoned by police after the trip, while five other students were charged with violating the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO)’s ban on gatherings of five or more people. However, Sirawith and the rest of the activists say they reject the NCPO’s authority and have vowed not to acknowledge the charge. 
Weeranan Huadsri, Sirawith’s defence lawyer, said there was a good chance that the prosecutor would examine the two witnesses, adding that their testimony would add legal interpretation. 
“These witnesses are academics who can provide legal interpretation and views, but whether the testimony will be considered will depend on the prosecutor,” Weeranan said. 
He added that it was likely that the prosecutor would file a case against the student activists. 
The lawyer also disclosed that Sirawith was standing firm in refusing to acknowledge NCPO’s authority, saying it does not have the right to seize power and rule the country. The young activist has vowed to fight the case if he is charged. 

Tags:
Facebook Twitter
More in News
Editor’s Picks
wmg-logo
Top News
wmg-logo