POLICE HAVE arrested four men in connection with a violent attack on a British family that left the three foreigners seriously injured during the Songkran Festival at the seaside resort of Hua Hin in Prachuab Khiri Khan province.
Hua Hin police chief Pol Colonel Chaiyakorn Srilandecho said that police had apprehended two suspects on April 16 and another the following day. The fourth and the last suspect was arrested yesterday.
The incident took place in Soi Bintabat near a bar area at around 1.30am on April 13, the first day of Songkran.
The investigation showed that one British man, the son of the two others, bumped into one of the suspects who then knocked him to the ground. The parents, both 68, became angry and began arguing with the group, prompting a fierce attack in which the suspects punched and kicked the three tourists.
A video clip of the incident that has gone viral shows the suspects fleeing the scene as their victims lie unconscious on the ground.
Chaiyakorn said the son still had head injuries and has already left Thailand, while his father, who suffered a cut on his forehead, and mother, who also has head injuries, remain in the Kingdom. Doctors are requiring the mother to undergo more examinations regarding her head injuries, while the couple plan on returning home early next month.
None of the suspects has a prior criminal record, the police chief said, adding the case had been delayed after he was alerted about the incident on April 14 by a tourism association chief.
The four suspects have been identified as Chaiya Jaiboon, 20, Yingyai Sangkam-in, 32, Supatra Baitong, 32, and Siva Roksri, 20. All four are from Prachuab Khiri Khan province.
Chaiyakorn said the suspects confessed that they were drunk at the time of the attack.