Monday, September 28, 2020

DNA test ‘points to suicide in Tawatchai case’

Sep 12. 2016
Facebook Twitter

By Charoonroj Tiewpaingarm,

Donrawee Sudphum

The Nation

DNA tests suggest that a detainee might have committed suicide while locked up at the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) headquarters, a highly-placed source disclosed yesterday.

The DNA test results provided by the source matched information given by the DSI from the beginning of the incident.

The 66-year-old detainee, Tawatchai Anukul, died on August 30 with the DSI describing his death a suicide. The DSI explained that Tawatchai used socks to hang himself from the door hinge of the detention cell.

Doubts however have lingered, particularly after a preliminary autopsy revealed he succumbed to not jut from asphyxiation but also a ruptured liver. Tawatchai was accused of illegally issuing title deeds worth about Bt10 billion, and it was widely speculated that someone wanted to silence him.

Police have been investigating Tawatchai’s death, collecting his items for DNA testing.

A highly-placed source in the investigation team revealed that the DNA-test results from the Central Police Forensic Science Division had been released.

“Tawatchai’s socks, both from the inside and outside, contain DNA traces of Tawatchai and the on-duty head of the DSI, Pol Lt-Colonel Pairoj Laorattananurak,” the source said.

Pairoj rushed to the detention cell to untangle the socks in a bid to save Tawatchai’s life, according to the DSI.

“The inner side of Tawatchai’s shirt also contain the DNA traces of just Tawatchai and Pairoj,” the source said. “The outer side contains the DNA traces of too many people to conduct a DNA comparison.”

After finding Tawatchai in critical condition, the DSI called Mongkutwattana General Hospital. Several medical workers touched parts of Tawatchai’s body during their efforts to save his life.

Tawatchai’s trousers and underpants contain just his own DNA traces, the source continued.

“On the [cell] door, there were the DNA traces of just Tawatchai and Pairoj,” the source continued.

Metropolitan Police Division 2 commander Maj-General Charoen Srisasalak said he had unofficially received the DNA test results, without elaborating.

“We believe we should be able to determine the cause of Tawatchai’s death in two weeks,” he said.

Tawatchai’s younger brother Chainarong Anukul said yesterday that it was strange that Tawatchai sustained a ruptured liver from being hanged.


Facebook Twitter
More in News
Editor’s Picks
Top News