Monday, October 21, 2019

Wounded rangers compensated, suspects held in Pattani bomb attack

Jan 11. 2018
Facebook Twitter

By Pares Lohasan
The Nation

1,803 Viewed

Pattani governor Weeranan Pengchan on Thursday presented initial assistance of Bt10,000 to each of the 10 paramilitary rangers injured in a roadside bomb attack in Nong Chik district the day before.

Two of the men, Corporal Suradech Idlek and volunteer ranger Cherngchai Meechana, were seriously injured.

Fourth Army Region commander Lt-Gen Piyawat Nakwanich announced on Wednesday evening that two suspects were in custody following the attack.

The 10-strong team was securing the route to Ban Sai Mor School, where forensics specialists planned to investigate a report that CCTV cameras had been set on fire by suspected insurgents.

A bomb planted in the road in the village of Ban Sai Mor (Moo 6) went off at about 10am.

Piyawat said a manhunt was launched in Ban Pakaleusong, three kilometres away, where insurgents were believed to be hiding.

With community leaders observing, the five-hour search ended with the arrest of two suspects.

Saudi Yama is the subject of five arrest warrants linked to armed attacks between 2015 and last year. Sakariya Meunraya has a police summons and four arrest warrants in his name stemming from armed attacks in 2016 and 2017.

Piyawat said Waemamu Deuramae, owner of the home where the pair were found, was being sought and faces a charge of harbouring fugitives, which could lead to a two-year jail term.

Tags:
Facebook Twitter
More in News
Editor’s Picks
Top News