By The Nation
“The Thai Meteorological Department expects a lot of rain from mid-May to October,” Dr Somkiat Prajamwong, ONWR secretary-general, said. “Hence, we also need to discuss with Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the authorities of nearby provinces such as Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan and Pathum Thani about clearing their drainage systems.”
Provinces that may be flooded from May onwards are:
May: Chanthaburi, Trat, Phang Nga and Surat Thani.
June: Nakhon Phanom, Rayong, Phetchaburi, Ranong, Phang Nga, Chumphon and Surat Thani.
July: Nakhon Phanom, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Ranong, Chumphon, Phang Nga, Krabi, Phuket and Surat Thani.
August: Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Bueng Kan, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Nayok, Prachinburi, Rayong , Chanthaburi, Ranong, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Phang Nga, Krabi and Phuket.
September: Saraburi, Pathum Thani, Bangkok, Samut Sakhon, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Nayok, Chachoengsao, Prachin Buri, Chanthaburi, Rayong, Ranong, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Phang Nga, Krabi, Trang and Satun
October: Bangkok and surrounding provinces.
“Mekong River is expected to rise in July and two storms are expected to enter Thailand from August to October,” he added.
Areas in Bangkok that may be flooded this year are:
1. Chaeng Wattana Road from Khlong Prapa to Khlong Prem Prachakorn
2. Ratchadaphisek Road near Bangkok Bank
3. Phaholyothin Road near Amornphan Market and Kaset intersection
4. Pracharat 2 Road at Tao Poon intersection
5. Ratchawithi Road around Suan Dusit Rajabhat University and Krung Thon Bridge
6. Phayathai Road near Department of Livestock Development
7. Si Ayutthaya Road near Phayathai Police Station
8. Chan Road from Soi Bamphen Kusol to Yannawa Post Office
9. Suanplu Road from South Sathorn Road to Nang Linchi Road
10. Sathupradit Road at Chan Road intersection
11. Suwinthawong Road from Khlong Sam Wa to Khlong Saen Saeb
12. Phetkasem Road from Khlong Thawi Watthana to Khlong Ratchamontri
13. Muban Setthakit Road
14. Bang Khun Thian Road from Rama 2 Road to Bang Khun Thian-Chai Thalae Road