Thursday, August 13, 2020

Labour protection agency steps in over mass lay-offs at Nakhon Sawan factory

Aug 01. 2020
Facebook Twitter

By THE NATION

The Department of Labour Protection and Welfare has ordered its officials to help staff of Body Fashion Factory, Nakhon Sawan branch, who were laid off with immediate effect on Friday (July 31).

The factory was shut from May 2 to July 30, explaining the closure to the Covid-19 crisis.

On Friday when staff returned to the factory, the door was closed for them. A sign informed them that over 700 of them had been laid off, since they had abandoned their work on April 1, causing "damage" to the employer. The factory claimed the right to sack them under the law.

During the period of clodure, the staff were paid up to 62 per cent of their salary by the Social Security Office, for unemployment caused by a force majeure.

The jobless staff then travelled to the Provincial Labour Office in Nakhon Sawan, submitting a petition to the officials, demanding their employer compensate them for not informing them in advance about the lay-off.

Department director-general Apinya Sujarittanan said that he had ordered officials to follow up on this case. 

Officials have been told to contact labour-related agencies in Nakhon Sawan for helping the staff with new jobs and welfare.

 

Tags:
Facebook Twitter
More in News
Editor’s Picks
wmg-logo
Top News
wmg-logo