By THE NATION
The draft was approved by majority votes of 165 votes in favour and 7 votes against, while 21 abstained from voting and one did not cast a vote.
The amended law reads as follows:
Section 301: A woman who aborts a foetus that is older than 12 weeks shall be liable to no more than six months in prison and/or a fine of Bt10,000.
The penalty for this originally was up to three years in prison and/or a fine of Bt60,000.
Section 305: The offender is not guilty if:
- The pregnancy puts the mother at risk physically or psychologically.
- The baby faces a significant risk of developing physical or mental disorder or disability.
- The woman has been impregnated due to rape.
- The mother-to-be is convinced there is no other option.
- The abortion of foetus that is older than 12 weeks but not exceeding 20 weeks is approved by a doctor or other health professionals as approved by the Ministry of Public Health.
The amendments are expected to go into effect on February 12.