A powerful 6.9 earthquake rocked Padada, Davao del Sur on Sunday.
MANILA, Philippines — A powerful 6.9 earthquake rocked Padada, Davao del Sur on Sunday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said.
The quake struck at 2:11 p.m. with epicenter 6 kilometers northwest of Padada.
Phivolcs said that the tremor was of tectonic origin and had a 30-kilometer depth of focus, sending people out of their houses and buildings in Digos City.
The tremor was also felt in other areas at various intensities:
- Intensity VII – Matanao & Magsaysay, Davao del Sur
- Intensity VI – Kidapawan City; General Santos City; Bansalan, Davao del Sur; Alabel & Malapatan,
- Sarangani; Koronadal City
- Intensity V – Tulunan & Matalam, Cotabato; Cotabato City; Davao City; Glan, Sarangani
- Intensity III – Kalilangan, Talakag & Dangcagan, Bukidnon
- Intensity II – Impasugong, Bukidnon; Cagayan de Oro City; Dipolog City
- Intensity I – Zamboanga del Sur
- Intensity VIII – Malungon, Sarangani
- Intensity VI – Alabel, Sarangani; Kidapawan City
- Intensity V – General Santos City; Koronadal City; Tupi, South Cotabato
- Intensity III – Gingoog City
- Intensity II – Zamboanga City; Kiamba, Sarangani
Residents in the area may expect further aftershocks and damage, Phivolcs added.
In October, a string of powerful temblors struck Mindanao, leaving several dead, dozens hurt and houses and buildings destroyed or damaged