By THE NATION
More than 51 per cent of respondents in the latest Nida Poll said the song “Prathet Goo Me” (My Country Has These…) simply reflected some truths in Thai politics and society, according to results of the survey released yesterday.
Almost 40 per cent of those surveyed said they viewed it as another song criticising the country and politics.
Another 11 per cent said the song’s lyrics contained foul language and 8 per cent of the respondents disagreed that the song made “too severe accusations” against the country.
Some 4 per cent of those surveyed also found it inappropriate for the song’s music video to re-enact a violent scene that took place during the massacre of student protesters outside Thammasat University in October 1976. Most respondents – 58.1 per cent – said they had never listened to the song or viewed its music video while the remaining 41.9 per cent said they had previously.
However, more than half of people who had listened to it – 53.7 per cent – said they felt indifferent about the song, 30.9 per cent said they liked it, and 15.4 per cent said they disliked it. The survey was conducted by the National Institute for Development Administration (Nida) on 1,259 eligible voters (people aged 18 and over) in all regions of the country between October 31 and November 2. In another survey conducted by Suan Dusit University, it was found that 60.4 per cent of the respondents said the song was used by a certain group of people to make political attacks for their benefit.
Another 35.7 per cent called on people to listen to opinions that differ from theirs while 20.7 per cent of those surveyed said the song reflected truths in society, namely the difference of views among people, according to results of Suan Dusit Poll released yesterday.
The survey was conducted on 1,117 people between October 30 and November 3.