By The Nation
During the elaborate procession, the newly crowned monarch sat atop the ornate Phra Ratchayan Phuttan Thong (Golden Cotton-rose Royal Palanquin), which was carried by 16 men. He was joined by Her Majesty Queen Suthida and Her Royal Highness Princess Bajrakitiyabha, who walked alongside to the left and right of the palanquin, respectively.
The post-coronation Royal Land Procession of King Rama X was held for the first time in 94 years. The last time it was held was at the coronation of King Prajadhipok (Rama VII) in 1925.
The historic parade, in which a total of 1,286 people participated, took the King along a seven-kilometre route in the old city around the Grand Palace. Crowds of yellow-clad, flag-waving citizens lined the route to get a glimpse of the monarch.
The procession stopped at three historically significant Buddhist temples – Wat Bovoranives, Wat Rajabopidh and Wat Phra Chetuphon – allowing the King to pay homage to the main Buddha statues and the ashes of previous kings and queens of the Chakri Dynasty there.