
Nan province has been declared a disaster area following heavy rain and flooding in Pua district, prompting an integrated government relief operation and 24-hour monitoring of upstream flows through 4 key districts.
Speaking in Canberra at 12.55pm on Wednesday (August 19, 2026), during an official visit to Australia, Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said he had received a situation report from the permanent secretary for interior and ordered government agencies to deploy assistance teams at full capacity.
Anutin assigned Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation Yodchanan Wongsawat, who oversees the northern region, to monitor the situation.
A team had already been sent to the area, while Yodchanan was travelling there to direct operations.
“This response is being directed through an integrated approach. Deputy Prime Minister Yodchanan can immediately issue instructions on behalf of the Cabinet, so all agencies can act under unified direction to assist flood victims. The Nan governor, who was away on official duty when the flooding occurred, is also hurrying back to the province to take charge,” Anutin said.
Anutin said he had spoken by telephone to Nan’s deputy governor and was informed that the province had been declared a disaster area, allowing assistance and budget disbursement to begin immediately without awaiting approval from central authorities.
A shelter had also been established in the affected area.
The Nan Irrigation Project reported that the main Nan River remained at “normal” levels and below its banks.
Heavy accumulated rainfall in monitored areas of Pua district, however, continued to pose risks as runoff entered the Nam Khwang and Nam Kun tributaries before joining the river.
The highest accumulated rainfall readings were:
Operations centres and water-gauging stations reported flow rates and water levels against bank capacity in the 4 monitored districts:
Chiang Klang district (station N.86)
Tha Wang Pha district (station N.64)
Mueang Nan district (station N.1, commercial area)
Wiang Sa district (station N.13A, combined receiving point)
Irrigation officials estimated the following downstream flow times:
If a surge occurred in Tha Wang Pha, it could reach the commercial area of Nan municipality in about 7 hours, meaning residents in low-lying areas would need to follow updates closely and move belongings to higher ground in time.
The area’s 9 medium-sized and small reservoirs held 36.923 million cubic metres of water, equivalent to 98.54% of their combined capacity and leaving limited capacity to accommodate additional inflows.
Sirikit Dam, the final downstream water-retention barrier, recorded:
Water was being held back at the dam to slow downstream flows and avoid impacts on the Chao Phraya basin below it, although upstream accumulation also required continuous monitoring.
Yodchanan said the director-general of the Royal Irrigation Department had contacted him.
He then issued instructions by telephone, and the following assistance was carried out:
Anutin instructed officials to provide flood victims with food, clothing and medicines, with particular attention paid to food quality at shelters.
“I made it clear that I do not want a repeat of Hat Yai, when a box was full of rice but contained only 2 small chicken wings. That is not good enough,” he said.
“From Australia, I would like to send my encouragement to everyone in Nan. I can confirm that the armed forces and all sectors have mobilised to assist to the fullest extent of their capabilities,” Anutin said.
“Relief payments will be provided under government regulations. If flooding continues for 3 consecutive days, payments will be made to affected families. If homes are damaged, the government will provide funds for repairs on a household-by-household basis,” he added.