
A disaster has struck Pua district in Nan province after sustained heavy rain triggered flash floods, waterlogging, road closures, landslides, and fallen trees.
Homes, roads and transport routes were damaged, while flooding made routes in Pua, Phu Phiang and Santi Suk districts impassable to vehicles.
Deputy Interior Minister Jeseth Thaiseth chaired a meeting of the Central Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Command on Wednesday (August 19, 2026) to oversee relief operations in Nan and prepare for further flooding across the North.
Attendees included Arsit Sampantharat, permanent secretary for interior; Chatchadaporn Boonpreeranat and Chairat Kaewphiangphen, deputy directors-general of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM); Chamnong Sawatwong, director of the disaster relief operations centre; and Banjong Khunphet, deputy governor of Nan.
Provincial DDPM officials and heads of its regional offices across the North also joined the meeting.
During a video conference with Banjong and a Pua assistant district chief, Jeseth ordered officials to relocate vulnerable groups, handle requests for help and move at-risk residents out of affected areas.
They were also told to monitor social media for people seeking assistance, while the Nan provincial team was directed to leave the meeting and take command at the scene.
Jeseth ordered DDPM units in the lower North to send all their jet skis and flat-bottomed boats to Nan and directed a KA32 helicopter to remain on standby.
The Department of Highways, police and local volunteers were asked to provide escorts and deploy vehicles, tools, drinking-water production trucks, mobile kitchens and personnel.
Nan authorities were told to request any additional support without delay, while the DDPM was assigned to monitor conditions around the clock because continued rain could affect more areas.
Arsit relayed concerns and instructions from the prime minister, who also serves as interior minister and was on official duty overseas.
Authorities were ordered to provide people in evacuation centres with complete basic utilities and conditions resembling those at home.
Provinces, districts and local administrative organisations were also told to monitor water levels, issue prompt warnings and evacuate residents wherever flooding was expected.
Arsit gave a firm instruction, “There must be no deaths from this flooding under any circumstances.”
Banjong reported that flash floods and heavy rain had affected 3 districts, namely Pua, Mae Charim and Santi Suk.
In Pua, 9 subdistricts and 35 villages were affected, covering 8,000 households and about 16,000 people, while 5 road routes were cut.
The report said 10 initial evacuation centres had been established, including Pua District Auditorium, Chumchon Sila Phet School, the Sila Phet Subdistrict Administrative Organisation (SAO), Pua Subdistrict Municipality Auditorium, Wat Pa Mueat, Chom Chaeng Witthayakhan School, Wora Nakhon SAO, Ban Siao School, Chai Watthana SAO, the Phu Kha SAO office, Mueang Ngaeng School and Ban Hua Mueang Multipurpose Hall.
Ground operations involved military units, DDPM teams, Nan Volunteer Defence Corps Company 1, the Sawang Foundation and the Phetkasem Foundation.
Around 70–80 military personnel were working to evacuate residents trapped in their homes in the Ban Rong area, with the operation expected to be completed within 1–2 hours.
The Jet Ski Association of Thailand also sent a team of athletes and 8 jet skis under team commander Ple Nakorn, with the group travelling from Bangkok to Nan.
Pol Lt Gen Rungroj Thakoonpunyasiri, commissioner of the Border Patrol Police Bureau, issued an urgent order for Border Patrol Police Region 3 and police officers on volunteer-service duties to assist affected residents.
Police were directed to maintain a 24-hour watch, particularly in areas at risk of landslides, to support safe and prompt evacuations.
The warning read, “Floodwaters will move towards Tha Wang Pha and Mueang Nan districts on Thursday (August 20) before continuing towards Wiang Sa district on Friday (August 21). Mueang Nan and Wiang Sa must remain on maximum alert throughout Thursday and Friday. Municipalities have warned residents to move their belongings to higher ground and prepare.”
The Northern Meteorological Centre reported that radar had detected light to moderate rain over every district of Nan, extending into nearby Phrae, Phayao, Lampang, Lamphun and Chiang Rai.
The rain band was moving south-west.
Drivers were advised to take extra care because of slippery roads and reduced visibility, while residents in low-lying and foothill areas were urged to watch for accumulated rainfall that could cause waterlogging and flash floods.
The Office of the Municipal Clerk at Nan Town Municipality reported that more than 200 millimetres of rain had fallen in several areas from 12am, particularly in Pua, Santi Suk and Mae Charim.
The rain caused flash flooding around the northern section of the Nam Yao on its eastern side and increased the volume of water in the Nam Wa.
At-risk communities, particularly those flooded in 2006 and 2024, were advised to move belongings to higher ground, park vehicles safely and prepare to evacuate vulnerable people.