Wednesday, September 22, 2021


Charged senior medical officer transferred

Move comes after guard seriously injured when he is dragged by car in muang district.



THE REGION 12 senior medical officer being probed for allegedly causing injuries to a guard, which was widely circulated on social media, has been transferred to the Ministry of Public Health’s academic office.
The transfer was ordered by the ministry’s permanent secretary, Dr Jessada Chokdamrongsuk, to facilitate a fact-finding committee’s ongoing probe into the November 10 incident, when Dr Yorn Chiranakhon allegedly crashed his car into the ministry’s gate in Nonthaburi’s Muang district. The incident resulted in serious injury to guard Somchai Yamdee, 22. 

Charged senior medical officer transferred

Dr Yorn Chiranakhon
Jessada insisted that he had never interfered with the police probe nor tried to negotiate on behalf of Yorn. Jessada made his remarks yesterday after visiting the injured Somchai at Phra Nang Klao Hospital. He also gave the injured guard’s family some assistance money.
Jessada said the fact-finding probe would explore all aspects of the incident, which have strirred a controversy and been hotly debated on social media, to ensure justice to both sides. 
Somchai’s wife Jampee Sriphothong said she was glad that Yorn had taken responsibility for the guard’s injury and has been helping and visiting the family since the crash. Yorn even bought a wheelchair for Somchai’s mother, she said. “I’m still worried [over Somchai’s condition] and want to see him recover and get back to normal,” she said. 

Charged senior medical officer transferred
Somchai’s elder brother Chainarong Nakthai said doctors told the family they are considering drilling a hole in Somchai’s neck next Tuesday if he still had to depend on a respiratory aid device. 
Chainarong said that if Yorn took good care of his brother, he wouldn’t demand any further from the medical officer. He said he wanted Yorn to draft a written contract detailing the aid he would provide Somchai, although in the meantime York could keep visiting the family.
According to hospital deputy director Dr Sakol Sukphrom, Somchai has regained consciousness and is responding to instructions for movement. However, he is dependent on a respiratory aid and suffering from an inflammatory lung complication that requires antibiotics. 
Meanwhile, acting national police deputy chief Pol General Weerachai Songmetta yesterday led police investigators to make inquiries at a Chao Phraya riverside restaurant following information that Yorn allegedly had drinks there on November 10 before crashing his car. Weerachai asked the owner of “Pu Ya Ta Yai” restaurant, Narumol Sridaranont, 35, whether Yorn had a meal and drinks at 4pm on that day.
Weerachai said police found that Yorn and a female friend bought a foreign brand of whisky to drink and ordered four bottles of soda and two buckets of ice and one side dish. As a bottle of soda make three glasses of alcoholic drinks, a potential 12 glasses of mixed drinks could be made and reportedly shared with the friend, said Weerachai.
Police suspected that Yorn could have been drunk, information which they would include in a case report for the public prosecutor’s consideration for indictment. Police are now waiting for a medical certificate on the guard’s injuries, Weerachai said.
Soon after the crash, Yorn had refused an alcohol breath analysis test. He used his legal right to refuse the action, but it could lead police to assume he was driving under the influence of alcohol.
The ministry will launch a disciplinary probe against Yorn if the fact-finding panel deemed it a drinks driving case.

Published : November 17, 2017