Sat, October 23, 2021


What happened at the anti-establishment rally on Sunday

Some 1,500 protesters under the REDEM or Restore Democracy banner take to the streets on Sunday, which results in an ugly confrontation with police and several arrests.

Here is a timeline of events on Sunday:
2.20pm: REDEM protesters gather at Victory Monument.
3.15pm: A superintendent from the Phaya Thai Police Station inform the group of the Public Assembly Act, but the protesters bang utensils in response.
3.30pm: Protest leaders lead the crowds to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s Army residence at the First Infantry Battalion of the Royal Guards on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road.
4pm: Two water trucks are deployed at the Veterans General Hospital and Sutthisan intersection. Pol General Krisana Pattanacharoen, deputy spokesman of the Royal Thai Police, warns protesters to maintain peace.
5pm: Protesters begin marching down Vibhavadi Rangsit Road, shouting for Prayut’s resignation.
6pm: Riot police crackdown on protesters as they try to dismantle containers and barbed wire near the Veterans General Hospital.
6.10pm: A military officer warns protesters to stay away, but the crowd continues dismantling blockade until they arrive at the entrance of the 1st Infantry Battalion compound.
6.30pm: Police officers start arresting protesters, while protest leaders instruct those dismantling containers to deal with the police.
6.45pm: Male protesters confront riot police, while some lob firecrackers at the officers. Some protesters also use canvas to protect themselves from tear gas.
6.55pm: Riot control police retreat and protesters escape the tear gas.
7pm: Protesters’ medical team negotiates with police to avoid confrontation.
7.22pm: Clash erupts as protesters begin throwing objects, including firecrackers, at police who respond by shooting rubber bullets at the crowd.
7.44pm: Police officers say they will stop shooting if protesters retreat, but the crowd continues with its bid to enter the compound and make its way to Prayut’s residence.
7.50pm: Some protesters enter the 1st Infantry Battalion compound.
8pm: Riot police train water cannons and tear gas at protesters from the Veterans General Hospital and Sutthisan intersection.
8.30pm: Protesters vote via messaging app Telegram to call off the rally, though some continue confronting police.
9.35pm: Police once again fire water cannons and tear gas at protesters, who begin retreating.
10.20pm: National Police chief Pol General Suwat Jangyodsuk has the crowd under control outside Veterans General Hospital.
10.30pm: Several protesters were arrested. According to the Thai Lawyers for Human Rights, at least 20 protesters including a 16-year-old had been arrested.
11.20pm: Erawan Emergency Medical Service Centre reports at least 16 injured during the protest.
12am: Riot police shift to Din Daeng Police Station where protesters gather in support of those arrested earlier.
2.30am: Crowds disperse.

Published : March 01, 2021

By : The Nation