The Nationthailand

Add to Home Screen.

THURSDAY, December 01, 2022
Four held over flares during Suzuki Cup final

Four held over flares during Suzuki Cup final

SATURDAY, December 24, 2016

FOUR people have been arrested in connection with the illegal ignition of flares during the December 17 final of the AFF Suzuki Cup Football Tournament between Thailand and Indonesia, the Metropolitan Police chief said yesterday.

Pol Lt-General Sanit Mahathaworn said that police had arrested two persons suspected of starting the flares while watching the match at the Rajamangala Stadium – a leader of the Ultras Thailand group of hardcore football fans, and a vendor who sold the flares.
Arrest warrants have also been issued for 12 more suspects in connection with the incident, Sanit said, adding the suspects were now in hiding in the provinces. “Police investigators are collecting evidence. We believe it will take a little more time before we arrest all of them,” said the Metropolitan Police commander.
The fireworks vendor’s shop in the Bang Na area was raided last week and police seized more than 1,950 pieces of fireworks, flares and firecrackers, Sanit said. He did not identify the vendor 
Sale of fireworks, including flares, has been banned as they are regarded as military materials.
Prapoj Panphothong, a leader of the Ultras Thailand group, met with police investigators at Hua Mark Police Station on Friday night. 
During questioning, he admitted that he was among the audience during the match but that he did not start the flares. 
Two other members of the group – a man and a woman who were not identified – also met with police investigators and they denied any role in igniting the flares.
Sanit said yesterday that police were waiting for findings from the forensic science division about their examination of the stand section where the flares were ignited.
Meanwhile, the Lampang Provincial Court yesterday issued an arrest warrant for local fireworks vendor Worapol Suasakul on charges of import, production or possession of banned military substances. The offence carries a maximum imprisonment of five years and a fine of no more than Bt50,000.