This announcement, however, was met by complaints, with many people posting comments on the SRT Facebook page saying the move was unwarranted as the Covid-19 situation is getting better. They also pointed out that it would be an added burden for people facing financial difficulties, as trains were the cheapest travel option, while some suggested that the service only be stopped at the weekends.
Separately, SRT said it was ready to comply with the Transport Ministry’s guidelines on the use of Bangkok’s main Hua Lamphong Railway Station once the Bang Sue Grand Station is opened.
The SRT has been tasked with coming up with new routes to reduce the number of trains running through the city to avoid traffic jams near railway junctions.
Construction of the Bang Sue Grand Station, which will be Thailand’s largest railway hub, is almost complete, with just the installation of electrical and mechanical systems, and the setting up of a van operator pending.
Meanwhile, the SRT Red Line serving Greater Bangkok will be open to the public in July and up for commercial services from November. Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob recently said the Hua Lamphong Station should be closed as soon as the Red Line opens, so no trains run through the capital.
Meanwhile, the trains and routes that will be suspended for the time being are:
• 207/208 Bangkok-Nakhon Sawan-Bangkok
• 209/210 Bangkok-Baan Takhli-Bangkok
• 211/212 Bangkok - Taphan Hin - Bangkok
• 303/304 Bangkok-Lopburi-Bangkok
• 317/318 Bangkok-Lopburi-Bangkok
• 401/402 Lopburi-Phitsanulok-Lopburi
• 409 Ayutthaya-Lopburi
• 233/234 Bangkok-Surin-Bangkok
• 339/340 Bangkok-Kaeng Khoi Junction-Bangkok
• 417/416 Nakhon Ratchasima-Udon Thani-Nakhon Ratchasima
• 419/420 Nakhon Ratchasima-Ubon Ratchathani-Lam Chi
• 423/424 Lam Chi-Samrong Thap-Nakhon Ratchasima
• 427/428 Nakhon Ratchasima-Ubon Ratchathani-Nakhon Ratchasima
• 433/434 Kaeng Khoi Junction-Bua Yai Junction-Kaeng Khoi Junction
• 437/438 Kaeng Khoi Junction-Lam Narai-Kaeng Khoi Junction
• 439/440 Kaeng Khoi Junction-Bua Yai Junction-Kaeng Khoi Junction
• 251/252 Thonburi-Prachuap Khiri Khan-Thonburi
• 259/260, Thonburi-Nam Tok-Thonburi
• 261/262, Bangkok-Hua Hin-Bangkok
• 455/456 Nakhon Si Thammarat-Yala-Nakhon Si Thammarat
• 485/486 Nong Pla Duk Junction-Nam Tok-Nong Pladuk Junction
• 489/490 Surat Thani-Khiri Rat Nikhom-Surat Thani
• 275/276 Bangkok-Ban Khlong Luek Border Checkpoint-Bangkok
• 277/278 Bangkok-Kabin Buri-Bangkok
• 279/280 Bangkok-Ban Khlong Luek Border Checkpoint-Bangkok
• 281/282 Bangkok-Kabin Buri-Bangkok
• 367/368 Bangkok-Chachoengsao Junction-Bangkok
• 379/380 Bangkok-Hua Takhe-Bangkok
• 389/390 Bangkok-Chachoengsao Junction-Bangkok
Published : January 25, 2021
By : The Nation