MONDAY, April 15, 2024
nationthailand

Bhumjaithai denies its massive THB6.35-billion bridge project in South aimed to win votes

Bhumjaithai denies its massive THB6.35-billion bridge project in South aimed to win votes

The Cabinet has given the Transport Ministry a go-ahead to build two massive bridges in the South.

The two bridges, which were approved on Tuesday, will cost a total of 6.35 billion baht to build.

The one linking Songkhla’s Krasae Sin district to Phatthalung’s Chaison district will cost about 4.5 billion baht, while the one between Krabi’s Ko Klang and Koh Lanta Noi islands will cost about 1.85 billion baht.

The projects’ environmental impact assessment reports have been approved by the Natural Resources and Environmental Policy and Planning Office, and construction should start in the latter half of next year and be completed by 2026.

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob, who is also Bhumjaithai Party’s secretary-general, said 70 per cent of the construction cost will be a loan and the remaining 30 per cent will be government funded.

He added that the projects will be up for bidding in December.

Meanwhile, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, who is Bhumjaithai’s leader, denied these projects were a tool to win votes for the next general election, saying serving people is the government’s duty. He added that the Phatthalung-Songkhla bridge will cut the travel distance by about 70 kilometres and will help stimulate tourism and the local economy.

He also said he will continue to serve the public until Parliament is dissolved ahead of the May 7, 2023, general election.

nationthailand