“On January 8-9, officials investigated five locations in Bangkok suspected of running gambling operations,” Pol Maj-General Jiraphop Phuridet, deputy chief of the Central Investigation Bureau (CIB), said on Sunday.
“This operation is a part of the National Police chief’s policy to eliminate gambling dens nationwide to reduce the risk of Covid-19 spreading among the public.”
The five suspected gambling dens that were raided are:
1. An unnamed car care centre in Soi Sirithorn 1 in Bang Plad district. Officials arrested four suspects who were playing a card game and confiscated a deck of cards and some cash.
2. A building on Nakhon Chaisri Road in Dusit district. Officials found several gambling equipment including cards, dice, plastic chips, and cash but no gamblers.
3. A house near Tesco Lotus Rama I in Pathumwan district. Officials arrested four suspects who were allegedly playing high-low bets via mobile application. The mobile telephones and some cash were confiscated.
4. A rental room in Khlong Kwang community in Yannawa district. Officials arrested four suspects for allegedly playing a card game and confiscated a deck of cards and some cash.
5. A house in Soi Rimthangrotfai 3 in Thonburi district. Officials have arrested nine suspects who were playing high-low bets via mobile application and confiscated mobile telephones and some cash.
Published : January 11, 2021
By : THE NATION