Mon, November 29, 2021

in-focus

Getting a bee-stung pout can be fatal, warn doctors


Getting bees to sting the lips for a bee-stung pout can be dangerous, and even fatal, doctors said after a video clip of a woman getting her mouth stung by bees went viral.

Dr Somsak Akksilp, director general of the Department of Medical Services, explained that the swelling is caused by venom, which in the worst-case scenario can cause death from anaphylaxis or a serious allergic reaction resulting in suffocation.
Dr Mingkwan Wichaidit, director of the Institute of Dermatology, added that 0.4 to 3 per cent suffered from anaphylaxis after being stung by bees, while some suffered from arrhythmia or irregular heartbeat.

Published : August 17, 2020

By : THE NATION