Temporary paralysis suffered by six medics in Rayong linked to Sinovac jab
Doctors have linked the temporary paralysis suffered by six health workers in Rayong to the Sinovac jabs they had received. The vaccine had apparently created blood clots within 30 minutes of administration, but it was temporary as the problem was solved fairly quickly with medication.
Medical authorities say it is not necessary to stop administering Sinovac shots, because none of the 300,000 people or so who have received the jab so far have experienced any adverse effects.
Dr Taweesap Siraprapasiri, a consultant to the Department of Disease Control, said details of the adverse reactions suffered by the six medics had been sent to the vaccination committee.
Six people suffered temporary paralysis between five to 30 minutes after receiving the Sinovac shot from Lot No J202103001m6dik.
The jabs had been administered between April 5 and 9. One of the medics has cancer and another has cholesterol and is overweight. The other four have had a history of taking oral contraceptives.
“So far, 600,000 doses of Sinovac have been administered, and every recipient has been closely monitored. Any sign of a severe or abnormal reaction will be investigated,” Dr Taweesap said.
Prof Dr Kulkanya Chokephaibulkit, professor of Paediatric Infectious Diseases and director of the Siriraj Institute of Clinical Research, said there was little sign of neurological damage among the six patients and the symptoms were temporary and disappeared within three days. Health officials have still not been able to pinpoint the problem because MRI scans found nothing.
“Since the victims suffered drowsiness and numbness, it can be considered a neurological symptom. The first thing the committee did was check the quality of the vaccines in the lot, but no abnormalities were found. Vaccines from this lot had been sent to other parts of the country too. Some 500,000 doses have already been administered to more than 300,000 recipients and nobody has suffered this problem. We will continue monitoring the situation,” she said.
The six medics will take their second jab as scheduled, though the final decision will be left up to them.
This matter will also be reported to the Beijing-based pharmaceutical company that makes the vaccine so it can take the required steps.