Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Military training directive now inactive: NCPO source

Jul 18. 2019
Photo credit: Thai Tribune
Photo credit: Thai Tribune
Facebook Twitter

By The Nation

1,370 Viewed

A draconian National Council for Peace and Order directive, which forced “undesirable” people to undergo military training, is no long in force, says an NCPO source.

NCPO Order 3/2015 authorised soldiers to detain people in custody and later make them undergo military indoctrination even when those people have not faced a court or any criminal charges.

Until recently neither this, nor many other NCPO orders, had been revoked.

The source was responding to a widely-distributed column from the iLaw website, which asked if the order was therefore still in force and posed a threat to critics of the government or anti-junta activists.

He explained that NCPO Order 3/2015 had been kept active just in case it was still needed, because at that time the Cabinet had not been sworn in. The King and Queen duly swore in the new Cabinet on July 16.

“The Order [3/2015] technically became inactive immediately after the new Cabinet was sworn in,” the source said.

Tags:
Facebook Twitter
More in News
Editor’s Picks
Top News