Chance of new infections low as Egyptian did not eat or shop at mall: DDC
Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoen, Department of Disease Control (DDC)’s director-general, said on Wednesday (July 15) that more details have been found about the infected Egyptian soldier’s movements in Rayong.
According to CCTV images, the infected soldier and five of his colleagues had gone out, while the rest of the group also formed small groups and took frequent trips out of DVaree Hotel.
The group with the infected soldier had walked to Passione Shopping Destination opposite the hotel and stayed there for about three hours from 11am. The soldier had visited two floors of the department store, but since he did not eat or purchase anything, the chance of him spreading the virus is quite low.
Meanwhile, 1,333 samples had been taken from people in Rayong who had either been alerted by the ThaiChana app or who volunteered to undergo tests. So far, 400 have tested negative.
On Wednesday, as many as 120 people registered with ThaiChana for a virus test.
DDC is calling on people register and book tests on ThaiChana because that will cut down the chance of overcrowding at testing sites.
He also said DDC will be on high alert for the next 14 days and will continue testing people in high-risk areas. He added that so far, there is little or no possibility of another lockdown.