A single Bt130-million contract for the demolition work was planned, the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
The BMA is determined to recover the cost from the buildings’ owners.
At least three qualified companies would be invited to bid and a contractor selected by next month.
Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said the Pathumwan District Office had on December 4 notified occupants of both buildings by letter that they had to vacate within 30 days.
It had also for a second time erected signs warning that use of the buildings was illegal. Signs erected on January 29 have been ignored.
Aswin said two rounds of electronic bidding had failed to find a contractor for the demolition work, so the city would select the best choice among three nominated candidates.
A committee was being formed to set the terms of reference, Aswin said, and he expected a contractor to be named by February.
At that point, the demolition area would be sealed off under police supervision and handed over to the contractor.
The Supreme Administrative Court ruled on October 30, 2014, that portions of the hotel and condominium had been erected illegally and their demolition could take place within 60 days.
Property owners Larp Prathan and Thaptimtorn, two private firms, failed in court to have the demolition order overturned.
The hotel’s 24 floors and condo’s 18 floors exceed the 23-metre legal height limit for buildings on city lanes less than 10 metres wide.
The court agreed that Soi Ruamrudee was less than 10 metres wide and ordered the upper floors of both buildings lopped off.
When the owners failed to adhere to the judgement, the BMA proceeded with demolition plans.
Published : December 17, 2018
By : The Nation