Amendment to abortion law comes into effect
The Government Gazette announced on Saturday an amendment to Criminal Code sections 301 and 305, which would make it possible for women to terminate their pregnancy of up to 12 weeks.
The amended law reads:
Section 301: A woman who aborts a foetus that is older than 12 weeks shall be liable to no more than six months in prison and/or a fine of Bt10,000.
Section 305: The offender is not guilty if:
- The pregnancy puts the mother at risk physically or psychologically.
- The baby faces a significant risk of developing physical or mental disorder or disability.
- The woman has been impregnated due to rape.
- The mother-to-be is convinced there is no other option.
- The abortion of foetus that is older than 12 weeks but not exceeding 20 weeks is approved by a doctor or other health professionals as approved by the Ministry of Public Health.