Saturday, July 20, 2019

Thailand’s MICE future bright in 2018: convention bureau

Feb 02. 2018
Facebook Twitter

By The Nation

4,763 Viewed

An impressive line-up of MICE and mega events will be held in Bangkok and Thailand throughout 2018, according to The Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau (TCEB).

TCEB reaffirmed its commitment in a press release to help disperse meetings, incentives, conferencing and exhibition activities to “MICE cities and other high potential cities in alignment with government policy to drive sustainable social and economic development.

The bureau foresees that more than 30 million domestic and MICE travellers will help generate MICE revenue of Bt174 billion during the 2018 fiscal year. 

Chiruit Isarangkun Na Ayuthaya, president of TCEB, said that Thailand’s MICE industry continues to show positive signs of growth as a result of collaboration by all public and private sector stakeholders.

In 2017, Thailand welcomed 36,364,467 MICE travellers, generating revenue of Bt179.601 billion. Of these, 1,047,959 were international MICE visitors, generating Bt88.459 billion in revenue, while 35,316,508 domestic MICE travellers helped contribute Bt91.142 billion in revenue. 

“Looking ahead, from January to June 2018 more than 350 conventions are set to be held in Thailand, in addition to a wide range of confirmed meetings from now until the end of the year, said Chiruit.

Up to 45 per cent of these events will be held in Bangkok, while the remaining 55 per cent will be held in MICE Cities including Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, and Khon Kaen, as well as high potential cities such as Chiang Rai, Nakhon Ratchasima, Udon Thani, and Songkhla, Chiruit said.

“This line-up will not only help disperse MICE revenue to local communities but will also drive the economy sustainably. TCEB strives to work closely with partner organisations to host and provide bid support for global events to be held in Thailand, propelling prosperity through the MICE industry into local communities.”

Facebook Twitter
More in News
Editor’s Picks
Top News